Name: John Nguyet Erni
Position: Chair Professor in Humanities and Department Head
Organisation: Department of Humanities & Creative Writing, Hong Kong Baptist University
- Academic training in cultural studies, communication theory and research, media studies, and international human rights law
- Elected Fellow of the Hong Kong Academy of the Humanities
- Previously Head of Department of Cultural Studies, Lingnan University
- Former teacher at City University of Hong Kong, University of New Hampshire, and University of Wisconsin.
- Educated at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (PhD), University of Oregon (MA), University of Hong Kong (LLM in Human Rights), and Whitworth University (BA).
- Research focus: international and Asia-based media and cultural studies; gender and sexual politics related to media and visual culture; youth popular culture studies in transnational contexts; critical public health studies; the cultural politics of race/ethnicity; human rights philosophy and politics
- Teaching Areas: cultural studies, cultural theories, media studies, research methods, critical race theory, queer theory, human rights, legal humanities