Name: Samir Amin
Position: franco-egyptian economist
He is one of the founding members of the Global University for Sustainability.
- Born in Cairo in 1931
- Granted a PhD degree in Economic Sciences by the University of Paris (1957) and the degree of the National Institute for Statistics and Economic Studies, France (1956).
- Diploma of the Institut des Sciences politiques, Paris 1952.
- Professor of Economics since 1966.
- Research officer at the Planning office in Cairo (1957-60)
- Six-month working at the Office of Economic and Financial Studies in Paris (1960)
- Working as adviser to the Ministry of Planification in Bamako, Mali, along with economists like Jean Bénard and Charles Bettelheim (1960 -1963)
- Taught for many years in several universities, including the University Cheikh Anta Diop, Dakar, Senegal, and the University of Vincennes.
- Teacher at the Institut Africain de Développement Économique et de Planification from 1963 to 1966 (IDEP), thenafter director of Idep (1970-1980)
- Founding member of the Council for Development of Social Science Research in Africa (CODESRIA), the Environment for the Development of Africa (ENDA) and the Third World Forum (TWF). CODESRIA’s first Executive Secretary (1973–1975)
- Founder of the World Forum for Alternatives in 1997
- Having participated in all editions of the World Social Forum (WSF), from Porto Alegre, Brazil, in 2001 until last in Tunis 2015 during which his pacesetter contributions received public recognition and appreciation.
- Author of several books published in French, English, Arabic and other translations.
The Return of Fascism in Contemporary Capitalism (82.5 KB)
Author: Samir Amin.
Samir Amin at 80: An Introduction and Tribute (353.8 KB) 2015-03-24 Author: John Bellamy Foster .
Glory to the Lucid Courage of the Greek People, Facing the European Crisis (121.4 KB) 2015-07-08 Author: Samir Amin .
From Bandung (1955) to 2015 ; Old and new challenges for the States, the Nations and the Peoples of Asia, Africa and Latin America (210.1 KB) 2016-02-12 Author: Samir Amin.
The Implosion of Contemporary Capitalism (221.8 KB) 2016-06-17 Author: Samir Amin and MR Admin.
The Kurdish issue, then and now (146.1 KB) 2016-08-06 Author: Samir Amin.
National sovereignty: for what purpose? (54.9 KB) 2017-03-15 Author: Samir Amin.
Revolutionary Change in Africa- an Interview with Samir Amin (194.8 KB) 2017-05-08 Author: Samir Amin.
Samir Amin Memories extracts (101.4 KB) 2017-05-08 Author: Samir Amin .